This soup is the ultimate summer soup with an exceptional fresh tomato’s taste. Make sure you use good quality and very ripe tomatoes.
You will need
• 4 tbsp mild olive oil
• 2 kg ripe plum tomatoes, washed
• 2 large red onions, chopped
• 1 tsp brown sugar, or coconut sugar
• 6 garlic cloves, peeled and halved
• A handful of fresh basil leaves
• A dash of Tabasco
• Salt and freshly ground pepper
• Some more basil leaves for garnish
1. Preheat your oven, on grill mode, to 200°c. Place the tomatoes in a roasting tin, drizzle with half the olive oil, season with salt and pepper and roast in the oven for 15-20 minutes till blistered and charred in places.
2. While the tomatoes are roasting, heat the rest of the oil in a soup pan and cook the onions till soft and transparent. Add the sugar and let it caramelize for 2-3 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
3. Transfer the roasted tomatoes (remove the peel if you preference a totally smooth texture) and the caramelized onions to a blender and whiz to a smooth and creamy soup.
4. Return the soup to the pan, add the garlic, Tabasco and basil and simmer gently for 15 minutes. Adjust seasoning.
5. Serve garnished with a few basil leaves.